Illinois Liquor Control Commission publishes informative FAQ for bars and breweries about Illinois’s new growler & crowler law.

The good people over at the Illinois Liquor Control Commission – the entity responsible for Illinois’s liquor law enforcement and regulation – have done bars from Chicago to Effingham a favor by publishing a frequently asked questions flyer regarding Illinois’s new growler & crowler law. Illinois bars and restaurants and even Illinois liquor attorneys can rest easy with the knowledge that these are published interpretations of the new law.

Lots of good stuff here, from pre-filling growlers and crowlers in Illinois to the labeling requirements. You can read more about Illinois’s new growler and crowler law here. Here’s the q&A from the FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions:

I am a class 1 brewer, can I pre-fill growlers? 

Yes. You may fill growlers at any time; however, pre-filled growlers are considered to be “bottles” by the Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). As such, these growlers would be subject to the federal labeling requirements.

Is it required for me to clean a growler that is brought in by the patron?

Yes. Before filling the growler or crowler or refilling the growler, the on-premises retail licensee or licensee’s employee shall clean and sanitize the growler or crowler.

I’m an on-premises consumption retailer, can I pre-fill growlers?

No. The language of this law requires you to only fill at the time of sale. 

Can I sell a growler that has not been sealed?

No. This law requires that the growler be sealed with a one-time use, tamper-proof seal. A customer that takes a growler without this type of seal and transports it in a vehicle,could be subject to a charge of illegal transportation of alcohol in a motor vehicle.

I’m an on-premises retailer, do I have to label the growler?

Yes. The law requires that you place a label or tag which contains: 1) the brand name of the product contained therein; 2) the name of the brewer or bottler; 3) the type of product, such as beer, ale, lager, bock, stout; 4) the net contents; 5) the name and address of the licensee that cleaned, sanitized, labeled, and filler or refilled the growler; and 6) the date the growler was filled or refilled.

You can download the FAQ sheet from the Illinois Liquor Control Commission on Illinois’s new growler and crowler law here.

Ashley Brandt

Hi there! I’m happy you’re here. My name is Ashley Brandt and I’m an attorney in Chicago representing clients in the Food and Beverage, Advertising, Media, and Real Estate industries. A while back I kept getting calls and questions from industry professionals and attorneys looking for advice and information on a fun and unique area of law that I’m lucky enough to practice in. These calls represented a serious lack of, and need for, some answers, news, and information on the legal aspects of marketing and media. I've got this deep seeded belief that information should be readily available and that the greatest benefit from the information age is open access to knowledge... so ... this blog seemed like the best way to accomplish that. I enjoy being an attorney and it’s given me some amazing opportunities, wonderful experiences, and an appreciation and love for this work. I live in Chicago and work at an exceptional law firm, Goldstein & McClintock, with some truly brilliant people. Feel free to contact me at any time with any issues, comments, concerns… frankly, after reading this far, I hope you take the time to at least let me know what you think about the blog and how I can make it a better resource.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: